For the longest time, I have wanted a machine running a variant of Linux to be a dedicated programming box as well as a web server to expand my web development skills. To that end, i am converting an old PC of mine currently running windows 2000 NT to Ubuntu with the end goal of having a LAMP stack.
The first hurdle was making sure it still worked. This particular piece of hardware hadn’t been used in almost 3 years. (2yrs an 10 mo to be precise.) In that time I have moved through 5 different residences. After locating all of the necessary pieces I flipped the power switch:
Success! As I was cleaning off old data and programs, I thought it interesting to note the versions of two particular web browsers I had installed – IE: 6.0 (now 9) and Firefox: 2.0 (now 4.0.1). I’m also not sad to see Visual C++ go.
Next, wanting to have a dry run with a dual boot and preserve W2000 (for now), I set out to install all of the Microsoft updates from the last 3 years. To my dismay, it appeared that my Ethernet card was in a non-functional state. Emergency surgery was required:
Fortunately, all I needed to do was remove and re-insert the Ethernet card. Love those simple solutions. Once I was back up and running, I was a little surprised that there were *only* 53 updates to download. Not bad, and it went relatively painlessly.
With my rapidly approaching wedding, I decided that this would be a good break point with this project. In the mean time, I am planning to read up on Ubuntu as much as I can over the next few weeks. My goal is to take a crack at installing by mid June.