While setting goals is important, following up on them to evaluate progress is equally important. I don’t want to get lost in over analyzing, but I did want to see where I succeeded and where I failed.
- Build my own Django app and get it running on a home web server.
- I have 2. Even though they are in the early stages, I think this is a success.
- Use HTML5/CSS3 as much as possible.
- Used HTML5/CSS3 a little in some learning projects. However, I’m now realizing how ambiguous this goal was.
- Go to one tech related conference.
- Get better at Python.
- Introduced to projecteuler.net which provided fodder for some easy (and some not so easy) problems to solve with python scripts.
- Get better at networking.
- Check! Thank you Book Club!
- Increase my monthly blog post rate to at least 3 blog posts per month.
- Total written in 2012: 16 (average of 1.3 per month)
- Branch into iOS development (iPhone and/or iPad). Create and publish at least 3 apps.
- While I did work through a number of tutorials, and even started in on my first app, it is no where near publishable right now.
- Learn the following databases: MongoDB, Neo4j, Casandra
- I read a few tutorials on MongoDB, but didn’t actually implement a database, so I don’t think that really counts. Nothing happened with Neo4j or Cassandra.
- Learn some new python packages: NumPy, SciPy.